The EPF UAN activation is very important as the entire process related to the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) services are now being run online. It is now easy to withdraw money from your PF account through UAN. Similarly, you can also check your EPF balance without employer help and apply for a PF loan online. Thus, we cover here the Employee provident fund UAN activation process, methods, and EPF online portal link.
Table of Contents
- What is UAN? >> Activation Portal >> About Activation
- Know UAN >> Online Activation Process >> Activation Method
- Activate via sms >> Correct Errors in UAN >> Update KYC online
- KYC Documents >> Latest News >> FAQ
What is UAN?
UAN stands for Universal Account Number provided by employee provident fund(epf). The UAN number serves as a single ID FOR multiple member IDs. Whenever the employee changes organizations and joins the other organization he/she gets a new PF member id. Thus, UAN combines all these ids issued by various establishments and forms one single UAN.
Further, merging all the member ids into UAN helps the EPF employee to see the details of all member ids attached to a single UAN. Similarly, the employee shall inform the UAN of a new establishment, if an employee joins some other organization and is already allotted UAN by his/her previous establishment.
UAN Activation portal
https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/ is the official address to activate and log in on UAN Portal. You can activate and link your employee provident fund account with the UAN number. Also, you can log in to this portal to access pf related services by using your UAN number. Similarly, you can also know your UAN number with simple steps.
About Employee provident fund(EPF) UAN Activation
There are things you need to consider to activate your UAN. The first thing is that you must have your UAN number with you. Secondly, you need to activate it by linking with your name, mobile and birthday details.
How do I Know My UAN number?
Here are the steps to find out your UAN number.
From your Employer
The easiest way to find your UAN number is by getting it from your employer. It may also be present on your salary slip and other PF-related correspondence with you.
From The UAN portal
The second way is to find it out through UAN Portal using your mobile number if already linked by your employer with your member ID. Here is how to do it.
1: Visit the UAN Portal at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
2: Click the tab ‘Know your UAN’.
3. Enter your mobile number
4. Enter the Captcha code.
5. Click on the Request OTP button. You will receive the OTP on mobile. Enter the OTP. Hit the submit button. You will see the below screen.
6. Enter all the details on the screen. Ensure the following things to enter correctly.
- Enter the name appearing in your pf account. You may find it on your employee provident fund passbook or slip.
- you have options to enter either aadhar no/member id/PAN.). Choose to enter anyone
- Click on the show my UAN. You will see the UAN number on the screen as shown below.
These are the recent steps in 2020 to find out your UAN number from the Portal. Also, See how to check aadhar card status online.
Online UAN Activation Process
1. Visit the EPF Portal link at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
2. Click on “ACTIVATE UAN” under important links
3. On the next screen enter the details
4. Fill in the details like Aadhar number, Name of the member, Date of Birth, and Mobile no. Email id(optional) and captcha characters.
5. Click on the “Get Authorization Pin” button to receive the passcode on your registered mobile number.
6. Enter the OTP received on the next screen >> Click on the “Validate OTP and Activate UAN” button.
You will see your EPF UAN activated on the screen after successful validation. After that, you will receive a password on your registered mobile number. With the help of the password now you can log in to the UAN portal.
UAN Activation Method
You can activate your UAN through the online UAN Portal as stated in the above process and through SMS.
UAN Activation by SMS
You can activate the UAN by sending an SMS from the registered mobile number. Here is how to do it.
Type “EPFOHO UAN <LAN>” and send it to 7738299899.
The LAN stands for the first three letters of the language you want the SMS in. Currently, the available languages include English, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarati, Marathi, Kannada, Malayalam, Hindi, Tamil, and Bengali.
How to correct errors in UAN details?
if your UAN number is already linked with your Aadhar then you need to update your KYC first to change the name in the UAN. Thereafter upload it on the portal under KYC documents. Similarly, you will have to contact your employer to accept these KYC documents. This is specifically if are looking to make the Correction in the name.
Further, if you want to correct errors in the address, mobile number, and email you can do it online through the UAN portal. In order to make the changes in the address:
- Goto View >> Profile
- Click on the edit option to modify the existing details
- Click “Authorization pin” to receive the passcode on the mobile
- Enter the code and the system will update the new details.
How to update KYC documents?
- Go to the URL at https://unifiedportal-mem.epfindia.gov.in/memberinterface/
- Login with your UAN number and password.
- Click on the ‘Profile’ menu >> Select ‘Update KYC Information’ in the Member Portal.
The uploaded KYC document by you will be approved by the employer, till then status of KYC will be shown as “Pending”.
List of KYC documents for PF updation
- National Population Register
- AADHAR Card
- Permanent Account Number
- Bank Account Number
- Driving License
- Election Card
- Ration Card
The above process will help you to update your details with the employee provident fund and UAN. Also, the UAN portal has a direct UAN Allotment by Employees process, where the employee can enter his details and allot a UAN number. The link you can find on the above UAN URL address. This is a simple process to activate your UAN number online. We hope your employee provident fund UAN activation process was smooth. Below are some of the FAQs on the UAN activation process.
Latest News on EPF
29.11.2022: Recently the EPFO celebrated 70th Foundation Day. EPFO was instrumental in achieving PM’s vision of Shramev Jayate. Thus, Union Minister Bhupender Yadav’s EPFO Vision @ 2047 document was released. Also, the Bhavishya Nidhi Awards-2022 for Best Performance was presented. Similarly, the EPFO Regional Office building in Ranchi was inaugurated in virtual mode.
Union Minister Shri Bhupender Yadav said the Rationalization and simplification of laws will minimize litigations and will bring ease of doing business.
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit https://epfindia.gov.in. Click on the “Activate UAN” button >> follow the onscreen instructions.
In order to withdraw pf amount and perform other online activities related to EPF UAN activation is compulsory.
Type “EPFOHO UAN ” and send it to 7738299899 from your EPF-registered mobile number.
You can log in to the EPF portal and download your passbook, check the EPF balance, and see the contribution by the employer.
Mobile linking with EPF is a compulsory requirement to activate UAN. However, if you want to change the mobile number you will have to contact your employer or approach the nearest EPF office.
Last updated on 29.11.2022